A Few More Pages: Life With Books

One reader chronicles her journeys from cover to cover.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

One Perfect Day (Rebecca Mead)

Ah, neglected blog, you are not my first blog love. But although I have neglected you, I have hardly stopped reading. It's just that life with a toddler doesn't allow much time for quiet repose.

But One Perfect Day: The Selling of the American Wedding has broken me out of readership silence. This book by New Yorker writer Rebecca Mead takes a long, hard look at the American wedding and the industry behind it.

It's insightful without being cynical or snarky.

It's a reality check discussing what the wedding and marriage mean these days- and how much money is made off them through emotional manipulation.

I strongly recommend this for any bride to be- especially those considering using the Apache Indian Prayer (seriously, you can just look up its history in the index and skip to the relevant portions).

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Hi Adrienne,
I'm leaving a comment here b/c I can't figure out how to respond to your comment on my last post! Do I just comment back within Blogger or use email? I'm still getting the hang of all this...

Anyway, I'll have to check out this book -- so many things that we have bought into as Americans were started by corporations -- engagement rings, now the "right hand ring" -- come on, do women really need to buy those diamonds to feel empowered? Just another way for the industry to make the big ones!

See you around,
Sarah
*neverperfectalwaysreal*

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home